August20 newsletter

     TimmonsArt

newsletter  August 2020
website: timmonsart.com
email: timmonsart@outlook.com 

A word from the artist:
I certainly hope this finds all of you safe and well. Who would have thought my husband could finish a semester teaching over 50 organic chemistry students from our dining room table? And make the conversion from in-class lectures to online classes in only a week? Just shows you how fast the world can change.

New Work
I have been painting horses in grisaille for a while but had not reduced those images to geometric abstraction until recently. Here are two new LARGE canvases:
 
Variation on White Horse, oil on canvas, 48x36”     

Variation on White Horses, oil on canvas, 40x40”  

I’ve abstracted additional black-and-white images of horses I will be painting. I always “hang” the finished paintings in a virtual room.

And here are two expressionist canvases I finished last month:

 Parallel, acrylic on canvas, 40x30”  

 Blue Streak, acrylic on canvas, 36x36”  

 

In the Garden
When the weather warms, all sorts of critters come out to play on our little acre. Here are some of our visitors so far this year:
            

                

Our bunnies came back when the neighbor with 15 cats finally put up a fence. If I could make a pet of every fawn, I would. The Pileated Woodpeckers don’t usually stay still enough for me to get a good shot, but this one obliged. And we don’t see many Flickers . . . they look like they were assembled by a committee of graphic designers, don’t they? And that’s the first shot I’ve ever gotten of the underside of a Giant Swallowtail’s wing. I was glad to get this shot of one of the most beautiful Tiger Swallowtails I’ve ever seen.

 

In Design 2020
Here’s a design trend I really love – bold black and white. That floor! And so much wall space in the hall. As designer Laura Umansky notes, “The emotional response is immediate, and the look remains timeless.”


Art History Moment
An article about this painting caught my eye recently, mostly because I had just re-watched an episode of ‘Gilmore Girls’ where the name “Diebenkorn” was a running joke. I’ve always liked his work, but this painting really blows me away:
  Richard Diebenkorn, Cityscape #1, oil on canvas, 60x50” (1963)

You won’t be surprised, given the sense of space and light, that this is a view of California. And oh, that treatment of light, those shadows. Diebenkorn’s work became much more abstract after this, and you can see it leaning that way in this canvas. “I want painting to be difficult to do,” he once said. I get it.

 

Stay well!


Comments

Popular Posts