Can I call this Minimal Expressionism?

I'm somewhat a student of art history - took a couple of classes at the university level, and I sometimes crack art history texts and artist biographies as leisure reading. Those who have followed my work for awhile can see the influence of Frank Kline and other Abstract Expressionists.

 Franz Kline, Meryon, oil on canvas, 1960-1

The blurb on this Kline canvas mentions the "calligraphic feel" of his large abstract works. Indeed, I've been using Chinese calligraphy as a jumping off point for a lot of my expressionism. This is one of my paintings that sold last year:

Broken  acrylic on canvas, 36x36"

and here's another recently completed:

untitled, acrylic on canvas, 30x30"

I feel like my expressionism is becoming more minimal. These works also have an architectural feel, I think, though I'm not really thinking in those terms as I paint. Executing these paintings is very liberating, compared to my geometrics.

You can follow me on Instagram (valerietimmonsart), or if you'd like to be added to my email list, send me a message at timmonsart@outlook.com. You can also buy me a cup of coffee at                             ko-fi.com/timmonsart. Thanks for reading!








  

Comments

Popular Posts