newsletter - September 2026

The Valerie Timmons Art Newsletter (September 2026)

I'm not sure I've ever been more ready for fall. The older I get, the less I can tolerate the high temperatures with the associated humidity. These roasting summers force me indoors more than winter does. Anyone else feel that way? We have had at least one welcome visitor of late . . .


Housekeeping
There are several new faces on my mailing list, and if you signed up in response to my print offer, please let me know: timmonsart@outlook.com. I've tried emailing a couple of you, but I might be ending up in your junk folders. I've got the prints ready to go.

The Home for Wayward Babydolls
Just outside Morehead, Kentucky, in the small town of Elliottville, sits The Home for Wayward Babydolls. Part art installation, part science experiment, the property of Bet and Cecil Ison is peppered with the remains of dolls and mannequins and assorted art projects. You can find details at waywardbabydolls.com. My sister and I visited the first week of this month, and here are some of the images I captured . . .




I want to go back when it's cooler. It's a beautiful drive. (My husband is definitely in the "this is creepy" camp, so if you're there with him, it's understandable. I kinda dig decay.)

Valerie Timmons - Photographer
My transition/reversion to photography continues. And it's keeping me hopping. I'm studying up on contemporary photography and refining my eye. My new Instagram account (@valerietimmons_photography) is helping with that. If you have the patience to keep telling IG what you're not interested in, you can distill your feed to something relevant and educational (if that's what you're after). I'm still photographing rocks:


Crazy Lace Agate


Labradorite


Rainbow Fluorite

I'm also exploring my love of interesting architecture, especially abandoned buildings:


Main Street, Shelbyville, Kentucky

And I'm revisiting and refining some of my older images from Kentucky's Shaker settlements:





Photography shows
I'm entering several photography shows over the next few weeks, and they're very different from the shows I'm used to. A couple of them print and hang the selected images, then offer them to the participating photographers when the show comes down, and one of them even offers a $50 stipend towards shipping. Well I never! as my grandmother would say.

Paintings for sale
I'm in the process of gathering most of my unsold paintings still out in the world and will be offering them for sale over the coming months. First up is this 12x12" oil on canvas entitled Bianca




The canvas is on 1.5" stretchers, the outer edges of which are painted black. My signature appears on the outer edge of the left stretcher. Bianca comes ready to hang. If you're interested in giving her a home, let me know: timmonsart@outlook.com. She's mysterious and intelligent. Price includes tax and shipping.

Lens+Pen
Who doesn't love opening snail mail with cool stuff inside? Especially when it is addressed to you personally, by hand, and contains functional art bits. My Lens+Pen monthly subscription comes to your door with a 4x6" print of one of my photographs (which I've printed myself), a note card or postcard featuring a different photograph, and an additional paper good like a bookmark, sticker or gift tag. $15/month gets this neat little package delivered to your door, with a personalized letter from me, telling you what's going on in my art life. The 4x6" print can be popped into a ready-made frame from Michaels, which would make a nice small gift. Or . . .
Sign up now at: Lens+Pen | Posthouse



As always, thanks for reading!




 















Comments

Popular Posts