artist statement for my upcoming show

The opening of my solo show is rapidly approaching, so I've begun work on my artist statement for the show. This is what I have so far . . . 

"As a child, I thought trees were singing to me when the wind blew through their branches. So I sang back. And trees remain some of my favorite beings with whom to communicate. 

I am dedicating this show to trees: to their beauty and unrivalled importance to Earth's ecosystems. I chose the title 'Out on a Limb,' initially, as an allusion to the show's subject matter. Then I realized that humanity, in so many ways, is out on a limb and sawing that limb off behind itself at an alarming speed. I'm speaking mostly in terms of climate change because trees play such an outsized role in regulating the temperature of the planet and provide the very oxygen we breathe.

Did you know trees communicate with each other? And contribute nutrients to neighbors that might be ailing? They're amazing, fascinating creatures. Here are some of my favorite books on and about them: Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer, Finding the Mother Tree by Suzanne Simard, The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben.

Ten percent of the purchase price of any of my work, from notecards to paintings, is donated to One Tree Planted, a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to making it easier for both individuals and businesses to give back to the environment, create a healthier climate, protect biodiversity, and help reforestation efforts. Every dollar donated plants a tree. You can find out more at onetreeplanted.org."



 

Comments

Popular Posts