August 2024 newsletter

 The TimmonsArt Biz Newsletter (August 2024)

My upcoming solo show
I'm wrapping up the work for this show, in October, at ADC Fine Art in Cincinnati. A large work most recently completed is this one:


Autumn  oil on canvas, 36x48"



I'm also experimenting with a new technique I call "scribbling." It helps me loosen up during and after working on the geometrics. Here are a couple of examples I hope end up in my horse show:


Scribble No. 2  
acrylic paint and marker on tissue (mounted on canvas) 
24x24"


Scribble No. 3
acrylic paint and marker on tissue (mounted on canvas)
24x36"

And I scribbled an elephant on commission:


Scribble No. 4
acrylic paint and marker on tissue (mounted on canvas)
20x20"

These pieces appeal to me for another reason - I can reuse canvases that exhibit unsuccessful or abandoned paintings. The tissue helps cover previous marks and provides interesting texture for the scribbles. Win-win!

Other avenues
I know AI is a dirty term to most artists, but I'm finding it a wonderful tool for making images in my imagination come to life. Mostly, I've been working on a series of Art Nouveau-inspired images involving women, fantastic dresses and gowns, and plants. Here are a couple of examples:


Tiger Lily


Summer

AI does the initial work, then I make adjustments in Photoshop. (AI is notoriously bad at hands, for example.) If you'd like to see some of my other Art Nouveau designs, you can check them out here: Art Nouveau Designs – TIMMONS ART

I've invested in some Photoshop brushes that create interesting, natural-looking effects. I'm just scratching the surface of what they can do, but here's one of my favorite effects so far:


before


after

I took this shot at Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill a long time ago. I can't wait to play with the rest of the brushes. 

I'll leave you with my shot of a Zebra Swallowtail from a couple of weeks ago. I usually only see one a year, so I keep my camera close at hand.




Comments

Popular Posts