May 20 newsletter


TimmonsArt
newsletter  May 2020
website: timmonsart.com
      email: timmonsart@outlook.com

A word from the artist:
I’m guessing most of you are as happy as I am to greet full-on spring. My Seasonal Affective Disorder seems to worsen each year, so I am thankful to have had lots to work on this past winter. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

New Work
I completed this painting mid-2019 . . .
Variation on Purple Coneflower - oil on canvas, 24x36”
and it sold very quickly. I planned to paint a companion piece to it, and in my head, even though the images are very different, they worked well as a pair. I finished the second painting a couple of months ago:
 
Variation on Purple Coneflower No. 2 - oil on canvas, 24x36”
I love the way the petals are defined by mostly negative space in the second piece. And I’m a sucker for combinations of pink and green. I’ve abstracted a number of other flowers I hope to paint soon.

Also recently completed is this geometric landscape:
 
Variation on Winter Sunset’ oil on canvas, 36x48”
This took me months to complete. I’m hoping to get it into at least one show this year, when and if such shows resume.

Fiddling around in Photoshop is one of my favorite pastimes, and I devised a set of notecards that have proved to be very popular. I call them ‘The Good Advice Collection.’ A little history: a few years ago, a cousin of my father’s, who lives very near the old Timmons homestead in Webster County (KY), sent me a box of pictures that had belonged to my grandmother. Included with the pictures was a small red booklet called ‘Your Household Guide,’ which had been distributed by the Slaughters Women’s Club in 1951. I don’t know whether Grandma was a member, but the booklet still bears her marks beside advice she found useful. I picked out some of the more humorous “guidance” and composed some illustrations to fit. The population of Slaughters has never been more than around 600 people (and that was in 1920), so I can’t imagine the membership of the Women’s Club was all that vast. Nevertheless, the advice lives on:
 

 

   
A combined Art History and Architecture Appreciation Moment
In 2009, ground was broken for what was to be a new luxury hotel near Antakya, Turkey. The excavation revealed ruins from the ancient city of Antioch, and changes to the hotel’s plans were made to incorporate the ruins into the site. Ten years in the making, the modern 200-room hotel “floats” on steel columns above the Necmi Asfuroğlu Archaeology Museum, which contains around 35,000 artifacts, including amazing mosaics, dating back to the third century BCE from 13 civilizations. I did not have a bucket list until I read about this.



    



Stay well!

Comments

  1. Thanks Valerie! My first of your newsletters. I enjoyed it! As well as your paintings- that goes without saying tho!!!
    N

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts