find your niche

A lot of my students knew, even at university, that they wanted to work for themselves, if not immediately upon graduation, then soon after. I always advised them to find an unfilled niche in their area of expertise and train themselves to fill it. Looks like, even though I didn't know what I was talking about, I sort of knew what I was talking about. https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-ultimate-guide-for-reinventing-yourself?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Since the covid-19 lockdown, given people's unwillingness to spend money on non-essentials, I've been brainstorming ways to keep the art side of my business afloat. (I've actually been selling more candles from my Etsy store, which I guess is not too surprising. Self-care has been an emphasis for a lot of folks.) The lockdown also gave me the opportunity to explore some other creative avenues, like decoupage. 

I haven't settled on any real winners yet, but producing items and paintings in all price ranges seemed to be a no-brainer. I've played with everything from tiny art . . .
 drawing in watercolor pencil, 4x4" $25 (includes easel)

 . . . to decoupage on everyday items like napkin rings . . .
 Hydrangea Napkin Rings, four for $24

 . . . and coasters.
 Woodland Coaster Set  $20

I have plans for more ambitious decoupage pieces, so stay turned. Watching the decoupage projects evolve is fun. Some of the process is random, but some takes planning, e.g., placement. You can find out more about my decoupage and some of my smaller art pieces here:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/OpalGroveKY?ref=search_shop_redirect

In the meantime, let me know what steps you've taken to reinvent yourself or your career. And if you have any suggestions for me, I'd love to hear 'em.

Comments

Popular Posts