at a crossroads

I'm feeling antsy. Like something's building. Maybe it's the run-up to my solo show in June. I'm taking care of details now - the work is finished. And I'm SO excited about the work and the show's message.


But I feel like I'm at a crossroads in terms of how and where to market my art. I'm not sure galleries are right for me, especially in light of the decision of one of my galleries to adopt a monthly fee model in addition to the acceptance of work on consignment. While I understand the lure of a reliable monthly income to a small business, and I can afford the monthly fee, I'm uncomfortable with what could turn into annual outlays of hundreds of dollars with no sales. Is anyone else a member of a gallery that requires a monthly fee? Are you happy with the level of promotion and the number of sales you're getting? It's a tough call. 

Okay, who's having success without gallery involvement? I've been reading a lot of articles about alternate marketing strategies, all of which require a considerable investment of time that could be spent painting. But if they result in sales . . .. 

One very attractive element of handling my own sales is developing personal relationships with customers and patrons. It's been my experience that continuing correspondence (email list, newsletter) with folks who have purchased work from me leads to additional purchases and to talking me up amongst their friends. That's invaluable. And free. Even though portraiture is not my focus, this portrait of a friend I painted 15 years ago is still getting a lot of attention and praise . . .


. . . and she loves telling people about me. (I should probably pay her a commission.) If you're a creator, I'd love to hear your thoughts on all this.


Variation on a Winter Sunset, oil on canvas, 36x48"


Comments

Popular Posts